Skip to content
Define a docker image in 10 bullets points.
- Docker image contains collection of file systems (root,user,application)
- Docker image can contain one or many layers. rootfs layer is always present.
- In case of file system conflict, the top layer takes precedence.
- The layered file systems are identified using UUID which are created using SHA256 algorithm.
- tagging is used to identify specific UUID with user friendly name
- docker inspect command can show the UUID of various layers used in the image.
- docker inspect command can be used to view docker image metadata
- docker info command will show Docker Root Dir, where all the docker images are stored.
- Docker merged directory is created when docker container process is started and it is removed when the container is stopped.
- file changes made in docker container are persisted in “diff” directory which is used to re-create the merged directory when docker container is started next time.
- docker rmi command can be used to remove docker image