TDP DevOps – Day 5 Assignment 1
1)What is Chef?
Chef is an automation tool that let’s to automate processes. It’s a Configuration Management (CM) application that allows you to automate procedures and operations across a company’s servers and other devices in a few simple steps. This automation solution avoids the need for sophisticated and lengthy code scripts that could cause problems in the long term. You can deploy and manage software programs across all devices in your organization with only a few clicks.
2) 10 Advantages of Chef ?
- Faster deployments
- Reduced risks
- Integration with any cloud technology
- Increasing Service Resiliency
- Reduced IT Costs
- Accelerating Software Delivery
- Managing Both Data Center and Cloud Environments
- Delivering All Your Infrastructure from any app, everywhere, continuously
3) How to install Chef Workstation?
- Go to chef workstation page
- click on the package for window/linux or any other version we want.
- You will get a link post clicking on download button.
- wget https://packages.chef.io/files/stable/chef-workstation/22.5.923/el/7/chef-workstation-22.5.923-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
- Copy the above command and execute in putty. mingw server and download the packages of the chef.
- workstation will be installed.
4) One Example Program of Recipe?
file ‘/opt/first.txt’ do
file ‘/opt/content.txt’ do
content “Hi this Sathvika”
create a index.html
package ‘name’ do
file ‘index.html’ do
content “<h1>Welcome to DevOpsSchool Chef Class</h1>”
bash ‘extract_module’ do
cp index.html /var/www/html/
service ‘httpd’ do