Quick notes for prometheus
– What is Time Series database?
Time series databases are simply measurements or events that are tracked, monitored, downsampled, and aggregated over time. This could be server metrics, application performance monitoring, network data, sensor data, events, clicks, trades in a market, and many other types of analytics data
– How prometheus is good for time series metrix?
Prometheus is a very good tool for processing and monitoring time series data. This versatile tool can be used with Graphana, a statistics visualization, and anomaly observation tool. This tool can collect data from highly loaded servers, various IoT devices, complex data processing systems, and many more.
– What are components of prometheus?
- Prometheus server: which scrapes and stores time series data
- client libraries: for instrumenting application code
- push gateway: for supporting short-lived jobs
- exporters: for services like HAProxy, StatsD, Graphite, etc.
- alertmanager: to handle alerts
– How prometheus works?
Prometheus can scrape numerical data and store it as a time series in a local time series database. It can also integrate with remote storage options.In addition to the stored time series, impermanent times series from the source are produced by queries. These series are recognized by metric name and key value pairs known by labels.