What is Istio and how it is useful?
In this blog, we will talk about Istio how it is useful, and many more.
But first, let’s start with its meaning.
What is Istio?
Istio is an open-source service mesh that provides policy enforcement, traffic management, and telemetry collection.
It runs on Kubernetes, nomad, and console.
It let developers connect, secure, control, monitor, and run a distributed microservice architecture (MSA).
Service mesh is a way to connect all of your services with one consistent network and observability layer STO.
In other words, the service mesh is a network of the microservices like how services A and B talk with each other.
As the service mesh grows things get complex and you need to have a way to control how different services like A and B talk with each other. Here Istio comes in.
Features of Istio
- Load balancing – It allows HTTP, TCP, and WebSocket trafficking where you can control tication is being done between services A and B or how things come from outside in.
- Fine-grain control – It makes sure that you have rules, retries, failovers, you even fault injection.
You have the wonderful place of how you specifically talk to service A and not service B in certain situations.
- Access control – To make sure that the policies you have for your cloud-native application are correct and enforceable.
- Visibility – You have logging and graphing things you can put in front of them to be able to see how everything is working. It’s all free and comes together when you install Istio.
Automatic metrics to be able to do how you expected to make it happen.
How Istio is useful?
There are a few points mentioned below that shows how Istio is useful: –
- Istio allows organizations to secure, connect, monitor, and run distributed microservices.
- Attain consistent service networking.
- Improves the performance of the application.
- It makes simple service-to-service network operations like traffic management, authorization, encryption, auditing as well as observability.
- Secure cloud-native apps
- Manage traffic effectively
- Monitor service mesh
- Easily get deployed with Kubernetes and virtual machines
- Simplify load balancing with modern features
- Apply policies to provide insight into network performance issues
- Secures service-to-service and pod-to-pod communication.
- Istio finds the challenges that might developers and operators face with a distributed or microservices architecture.
- Istio uses an extended version of the Envoy proxy and Envoy mediates all inbound and outbound traffic for all services in the service mesh. Envoy proxies are the only Istio components that interact with data plane traffic.
- Istio helps to manage microservices through two major components:
- Data Plane
- Control Plane
I would like to tell you about one of the best places to get trained and certification in DevOps, DevSecOps, SRE, AIOps, MLOps, GitOps, AI, Machine learning and Istio courses is DevOpsSchool. This Platform offers the best trainers who have good experience in DevOps and also they provide a friendly eco-environment where you can learn comfortably and free to ask anything regarding your course and they are always ready to help you out whenever you need, that’s why they provide pdf’s, video, etc. to help you.
They also provide real-time projects to increase your knowledge and to make you tackle the real face of the working environment. It will increase the value of yours as well as your resume. So do check this platform if you guys are looking for any kind of training in any particular course and tools.